The day before, I copied the fitted pattern down to the. “My Knee” mark. Hmm the pattern has a knee line. When I check my knee in the pant it’s about 2″ above that line and that’s where I drew the “My Knee” line and the length I traced the pattern. Including a 1.25″ hem, it should finish with an 11″ inseam. (I’m pretty short).
I thought of doing something special, like pockets or even a different waistband but decided right now the important thing was discovering the length I wanted my short shorts AND if the non-stretch pattern still fit me when made in a non-stretch fabric. Due to the chemo and steroids and despite my efforts to control my eating. the hospital scales continue to increase .2 pounds every visit which is every week. Trend wise, I’m gaining a pound a month. You may think me silly, but right now, I’m not trying to lose weight. I’m just trying to stop the scales at one place. Having worked with knit fabrics I need to take a pause and ensure my non-stretch pattern still fits what I know to be an ever expanding figure. (Sigh.)
I selected a cotton/poly seersucker fabric. I bought 3-4 cuts 2 years ago. Didn’t make shorts last year because I was having such wild fitting issues. It wasn’t that seersucker is a “precious” fabric, but more of I wanted to wear the resulting pants more than once. Hence the delay until this year when summer weather combined with a …er…. more stabilized figure and identifiable fitting issues made it possible to use one of my favorite summer fabrics, seersucker.
Love making shorts. 2 hours for laying out, cutting, serge finishing all edges and stitching together for the first fitting. The Bank LIne photos, taken at first fitting, don’t look bad at all
The crotch did feel a little short. When I looked at the front and back (in fitting pose)…
… I wasn’t sure there was anything really wrong. Other than, the crotch depth felt short and the same time it looked like maybe I should pull the pant up at least in front. It was the side view….
…. which convinced me that the additional .2# every week was having a bad effect. I don’t expect my non-stretch pants to hug the shape of my thigh, tummy and butt as seen in the side view. Not too much can be done at this point. I thanked my lucky stars that I had decided to use this particular seersucker for the test pair because I have a very similar seersucker stripe still in the stash. If I am not able to wear this pair in a few weeks, well I’ve got another fabric I can use to replace them.
I let out the side seams as much as possible (1/4″) which added 1″ ease.
Maybe still not the best fitting shorts I’ve ever had. They still feel a little short crotch depth wise but there are things about these I especially like. For starters, that 2 hour sewing time. But I also like that the stripe is flowing vertically. It should but doubted it would because during the fitting of the pattern the gainline swung back and forth almost drunkenly. I used the final grainline and am so relieved that it is right! I am also delighted that my hem is so even. I think any difference is due to needing a little extra crotch depth although it may exclusively be that it actually needs more ease than the 1″ I was able to rescue from the side seams.
Anyway, these are going in the closet to be worn. I’ll see what I can fix, on the next pair.