- I wasted some time considering the possibility of making a new muslin and even a different pattern. In the end I decided that it would be faster, easier and possibly better if I made what changes I could to this muslin and then cut new fabric. The changes for the next fitting:
- Pinned out the side front Mickey Mouse ear, then stitched
- Slashed the back over my seat. In the slash I inserted aisle runner. Stitched to one side and pinned 1/2″ away on the other.
- Wanting to eliminate the question of are the lower leg issues due to length or fit, I trimmed another 1-3/4″ from the bottom. That’s a total of 3″ which I don’t plan on removing from the pattern.
- To straighten the side seam and hopefully erase some of the drag lines, I moved the side seam towards the CF along the waistband and pleated instead of gathering leg to WB. Sigh, this is not a permanent end point. I’ve realized if the ease I have added is correct, I will also need to change the yoke. When I do, I”ll know how long the WB needs to be but not where the side seams need to join it.
Before I slashed, I marked the back where my butt stuck out the most. I was quite surprised at how high that mark was. I determined the max protrusion point mostly visually but also by smoothing my hand from the top towards it and then again from below to the point. I thought that would be reasonably accurate. Where I thought it should be and where it was (orange line below) was not even close. Just for comparison sake, the ruler top edge is sitting on the crotch and the Blue line above would be the hip level as specified in my drafting class. Why is my butt flying high above that?
I’m getting tired of this. Sometimes I just don’t have enough staying power. I know I make the process longer because I insist on making one change at a time. Two at a time at most. But I come back to the same question: if the hip and waist have sufficient ease and the front and back crotch are the correct length, why is it such an issue to fit pants? It should be just tweaking. Not all the crap that I am doing.
OK for Fit 04
Did not draw the side lines for you. It was ease for me to see that the side seam is leaning towards the back but the rest is dropping to the floor quite nicely. I’m ignoring wrinkles and folds I see on either side and just noting that right along the side seam looks pretty good.
You have to look on the right side — ignore the left. I made all changes to the right side. The mouse ears are not visible nor did I notice them once I put the pants back on. Pleating the pant to join to the waistband did make the upper pant much smoother. But now instead of an entire smooth leg, I have divots at the crotch. I’ll confess that the crotch felt tight this time too. It may be because I have my back support on (the black you see above the WB.) Next pics I will remove my support but if it has that much an effect upon fit, I’ll have to think about fitting for this frequently needed support.
The issue here was VPL except we could see the entire pink pantie. While we don’t see the VPL, I still don’t have enough ease across the seat. Next fit will only be a 2nd slice adding another 1/2″. (But I ask myself, aren’t jeans supposed to be this close? Am I trying to turn a jean pattern into trouser fit? If that is the case, why don’t I just start with a trouser and cut a yoke?
FIT 05 CHANGES MADE TO BACK ONLY
To make sure we focused where the changes were made, I cropped the pics to show just the right side.
I think the side view looks nicer but I can tell you the side seam has not been straightened. It is just reacting to the additional ease across the seat.
Sadly the front, looks even worse, IMO. I removed my back support for the pics just in case the support was having a real impact on the fit. If the support was having an impact, it was for the better.
The back is better in that the part I wanted to fix — not enough ease across the seat– has been fixed. The seat doesn’t feel or look too tight for jeans. For trousers, I might want a little more ease; for slacks especially with a little Lycra, I’d be happy as is. But I haven’t solved all the fit issues. There is still more to do.