I want a second pair of jeans shorts. I also want to tweak the shorts pattern just a little, (legs are too long) and I want to try out a waistband treatment from my favorite Diane Gilman jeans. From the outside my DG2 Jeans look like they have a typical contour waistband. In fact, I wore them several times before realizing it is a faced, cut-on waistband with top-stitching in strategic places.
I pulled out all the pieces from the jeans shorts just completed days ago. I trimmed 2″ from the bottom on the leg. I think knee-length dresses, tunics and shorts make me look shorter and stubbier.I think it’s just a proportion issue. Because I lengthen my dresses just enough to cover the knee brace, cut the tunics and shorts higher and the stubbiness goes away. Well, not completely because I am over weight and I am petite.
I traced the front and the yoke onto new paper and added 2-1/4″ (the width of my contour waistband) to the top of these two pieces:
I decided not to use front pockets, at least this first pair. I can get things ‘off’ with pockets so for a test garment I like to omit them. But I do want to use top stitching to suggest there are pockets. I traced along the top of the waistband and down the side seam about 8″. Using my curve, I marked a hand opening. then I trimmed along those lines to create this new piece:
After laying out and cutting my fabric, I align the new piece (now a pocket template) with the side seam and waist of the front’s fabrics
and chalk along the bottom edge of the template:
I should mention, I’m already running the embroidery machine at this point. I’ve found that I can maximize my time sewing if the embroidery machine can run while I’m doing other things. This combined with the lessor amount of embroidering I am doing, is becoming so successful that I may not need a stand alone embroidery machine. I’ve chosen a leaf/vine like pattern and wanted more of a tone-on-tone effect vs the typical gold jean stitching. Of course I still wanted the embroidery to show up. My fabric is a dark grey blue. I chose dark blue grey embroidery threads but they read much brighter in the pics:
While the embroidery was stitching….
Normally, I would use the waistband pattern to cut both a waistband and a facing. This time I needed only cut the facing. I also cut one interfacing. I’m not sure that’s good or not. I prefer to interfacing both sides of the waistband and I won’t be doing that. I load sewing machine, serger and cover stitch with thread. I serge-finish the side , waist and crotch before switching to the cover stitch and stitching along the chalked line of the fronts. I proceed to insert the front zipper and stitch the two back pieces of the back leg together (I am using TJ906 with has a 2-piece back leg.)
At this point, both pockets have been embroidered. These faster embroidery machines are wonderful. I finish the pockets which involves hemming, and attaching to the back of the pant at the cover stitch machine. I use SAS to turn the edges under neatly and secure for the cover stitch machine. I wanted to work on making the stitching at the point crisp. My bright idea was stitching to the point. Stopping and pulling the thread to the underside and repeat on the opposite side of the pocket. Then tying the loose threads at the point and sealing with a drop of Frey Check on the underside.
I think it worked really well. It is an extra step. Sometimes an extra step is worth taking. I continued my usual construction routine with a few minor changes. I made my belt loops at the cover stitch as usual but I cut them 4.5″ long instead of 3″ so that I would be able to place them exactly as desired along the faux waistband. I also discovered that somehow in adding equal amounts to the top of the front and yoke made the back side longer than the front. My first thought was I had put the yokes in backwards i.e. the deep end goes to center back and it’s not unusual for me to put the deep end on the side seam and have to rip it out. But, no, the yokes were correctly stitched. I wondered if I did the calculation of how much to add correctly (waistband width – seam allowances at leg top and waistband edge). I added the same to both. It shouldn’t change the overall length. Did I trim the same amount of length from the leg bottom when adjusting leg length? This is a close-fitting pant. My pattern pieces are really shaped. The excess, about 3/4″, is not in the lower portion of the leg. It is between yoke and hip. So I eased the front to the back
placed the leg over my pressing ham and steamed well.
Not perfect, but really good. It perplexes me. I used the same fabric and essentially the same pattern. My only other thought is I had somehow stretch both side, back pieces. It’s something I need to watch for when I makes shorts again.
I added the facing and then top stitched through the denim and the facing fabric approximating a contour waistband.
Note, I didn’t develop an overlap. I’ll be wearing a belt, so these will probably stay up and closed. But I’m always uneasy about that and also added a tap and button to the inside: