sdBev's Pants!

Eleanor for the Spring 6PAC

Posted on: March 12, 2016

  • In: Eleanor
  • Comments Off on Eleanor for the Spring 6PAC

After two 6PAC Tops, I decided I should add bottoms which for me translates as long pants. Seriously, Spring in South Dakota is not all that warm. Add winds in the 25-35 mile per hour range and you want to cover up those legs–especially if said winds pick up a little sand left over from snow season. I opted to use the Jalie Eleanor pattern for both a pinky-beige bengaline and a dark turquoise RPL fabrics.  All the possible fabrics i.e those in the turquoise/beige color range,  were knits with considerable stretch. I suppose I could have used TJ906, but I was curious about a few possibilities for the Eleanor. Specifically, I wanted to convert the back leg from two pieces to one and I wanted to nail down which elastic at what length I will be using.

I sewed the Bengaline first, opting to not only nix the front and back pockets but the faux fly as well.  That made it possible to get these to the point of testing elastics in record time. I used Louise Cuttings elastic in one of my test Jalie’s.  I seem to always be hitching up that pair of pants.  Now, don’t take this as a diss. Absolutely LC’s elastic is the superior to any other if using her MSS pant or the waistline treatment on other patterns. The Jalie Eleanor sits just below the waist. Plumber’s Butt shouldn’t be an issue, but it was.  Just to be sure I hadn’t used an incorrect length, I further shortened LC’s elastic another 2″, i.e. 1″ from each piece. I basted the waistband to the pant and knew within seconds that yes my figure + Eleanor didn’t work well with LC’s elastic, YMMV. They would drop as quick as I pulled them up.   I opened the waistband and threaded 34″ of WAWAK 1″ elastic through and secured it by stitching in the ditch at each of the seams. Ah, elastic nice. Bengaline Jalies hug waist instead of drooping. Unfortunately Bengaline Jalies are not completely attractive:

Not sharing front or back view.  Front says “Bev you have a belly”. Back has diagonal wrinkles over the back thigh — same problem I always complain about with other patterns.

 

Although the stretch is the similar, the Bengaline just doesn’t drape as well as the RPL and did not look as nice as any of the previous Eleanors or as nice as the following pair made with another RPL. For the Dark Turquoise RPL Eleanor, I nixed front and back pockets, front fly and back yoke.  I traced a copy of the back leg and added the yoke creating a 1 piece back leg. When the waistband is added, these look very much like a close-fitting Yoga-type pant. But they look very nice.

Fabric makes all the difference.

So happy to have my pants done.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: