I’m really very pleased with this pattern. For this version, I added a 3rd dart to the back pattern and increased the vertical tuck in the front piece to remove a full 1″ of ease.
I wasn’t sure about my choice of fabric. This is a cotton. I want to call it ticking but the fabric is not tightly woven. It’d never keep a single feather within a pillow! In fact the fabric is a bit light and I’m not sure pant worthy. But I just couldn’t help myself. I can absolutely imagine walking along some beach dressed thusly:
I think the front is getting near perfect….
…although I will tweak the fit for each fabric.
Adding the 3rd dart on the back was an error. At fitting time, I released the back dart and stitched a 2nd dart in the front returning the pattern to its original configuration of 2 darts in front and 2 darts in back. This is the first time with this pattern that I’ve added a 2nd dart to the front of this pattern.
I do see the slight diagonals forming below the waist; kind of over the pocket. Usually, I will finally tweak these away by taking more length off the at the side seam. I’m putting off that tweak because the diagonals are not as bad as they are on most pants and truthfully could be caused because there isn’t sufficient ease in the back. I mean, they could just go away once the total ease is correctly divided between front and back according to what my body needs.
When I put in the slant pockets, I taped the slant-edge. It’s under-stitched and turned creating a surprising amount of bulk right at the side seam. My presser foot did not ride smoothly over that edge when stitching the side seam. I had to stop, rip stitches and re-do a time or two. So while the side seam at the pocket join looks tight, I’m not sure it’s a lack of front ease causing the diagonals or inflexibility and denseness at that point.
The back clearly needs a smidge more room. Sigh, my scales report that I have indeed added padding even while the tape measure records the same inches. I can let the side seams out another 1/4″. Which having seen these “final’ pics I will do. I’m always amazed at how an improved fit feels so much better and looks great in the mirror BTW that I think it’s perfect but then the pics tell me it’s not.
Summary of pattern changes:
- Less 4″ leg length
- Crotch depth
- Back: 1/4″ evenly tucked (total 1/2″ removed from back crotch depth)
- Front: 3/8″ Wedge at the center front decreasing to 1/4″ at the side seam
- Front: Vertical 1/2″ tuck (removes 1″ ease per leg)
- Back Slash and spread 1″ (adds 1″ ease per leg)
- Net ease change =Zero
I look at the net changes and think, “I really didn’t alter the original draft much”. It’s taken 3 versions to get to this point because I’m cautious and analytical. Also I’ve learned that in fitting, it’s better to make one change at a time because every change changes something else.
- Front: Vertical 5/8″ tuck (removes 1.25″ ease per leg total 2.5″ from the front)
- Back Slash and spread 1.25″ (adds 1.25″ ease per leg total 2.5″ added to the back)
- Net ease change =Zero
Yeah, I’m just moving ease from the front to the back. But at the same time, each of my versions are very wearable and each version is allowing me to play with other features such as pockets.
I’m liking this pattern so much that I’ve purged my pant pattern-stash. I’ve kept The Eureka pant, CLD’s MSS pant and Pants Perfected (today’s pattern PP113). Pants are so difficult for me to fit, that I’d rather spend time adding details than fitting pattern after pattern. Even PP113, a pattern I’ve already used multiple times, has taken 3 tries to get very close to perfect. Of course, another version will be coming up.