I wasn’t sure about these, until I took “dressed” pics:
Fix the back of my hair, and I look fine in the bank line. Well at least as good as anyone else.
To the previous pant pattern (where I merged the yoke with the pant leg) I took a 1/8″ tuck in the front and back pieces. This takes out 1/4″ ease per piece and 1″ total from the pattern. I also put a 1/2″ dart in the side seams. I always seem to be adjusting the side seam to take out little bulges and frown lines in the front. I also made my Yoga Pant Waistband. Really no big deal except I wasn’t sure how long. I easily calculated 5″ would be a good width. But how long? If my fabric were non-stretch, I’d want the waistband to be slightly longer than my hip circumference. You know, just big enough to pull up over my hips. But with stretch, I just wasn’t sure. I started with my hip circumference and to make adjustments easy, I made two pieces instead of the usual 1 piece yoga waistband.
I’m using a wonderous stretch corduroy purchased from FabricMartFabrics about this time last year. It is cotton + Lycra and has a 40% stretch. Due to the stretch factor I used 3/4 CM SA instead of my usual 3/8″
Mistake. First fitting was way too tight. I thought a 40% stretch fabric would fit like a glove even if you made the pattern 40% smaller. So not true. I liked the leg, but eventually restitched all the seams with a 1/4″ SA. I also pondered over the rouching that I see on the front side seams. Because this happened with the previous pair, I thought The pattern pieces must not be the same length. I walked the pattern pieces and sure enough, the front was longer. Longer by maybe 1/16″. I couldn’t believe that account for the rouching/gathering I see taking place between front leg and back leg on the side seam. I offset the seams first by 1/4, then 1/2 and finally 3/4″. The gathering occurs from knee to waist so that’s where I made the offset creating bunny ears at the top of the side seam. I don’t fully understand why this is happening. I walked the side seams after making my pattern alterations. I know the side seams are the same length. It has to be on my body. Is the front of my body shorter than the back? Did I need both side seam darts (see para 1) or only a dart on the front side seam? This is pretty consistent and usually easy to correct at the first fitting. I’m just kind of tired of making the same garment alteration all the time. I’d like to take care of it at the pattern stage. Truth is, I as age I need more alterations. Patterns never have and never will fit me as originally drafted. During my teen years, I had narrow shoulders, short back-waist length and tilting waist. To those 3 standard/personal alterations, I need a few more. No big deal, when I know what they are.
I’m ready to put in the final stitching i.e. you’re not likely to see updated pics, because these are good and enough. See Pic above. But at that time I will make a few other changes.
I’m not concerned about the winkles at the waistband itself. The waistband length ended up being equal to my waist. The elastic is 4″ less than my waist. That’s what it takes to hold the pant up and on my body. I’m using Louise’s elastic which I dearly love. I’m waiting for her new pattern at which time I will be ordering 10 more yards. Of each color. This elastic is soft and comfortable and does not ride up. Here, I’m wearing it without the additional stitching the MSS would use.
This pant, this fabric is wonderfully comfortable. So it surprises me to see any issues at all. I could have used the 1″ ease I removed from the pattern. Fortunately, my blouses will always cover up that fact. An interesting fact is that the X wrinkles above developed only as I added enough ease to remove the VPL. I think I understand why some of young ladies have decided to quit wearing panties. Of course, the VPL would not be visible were I also in shapewear. Shapewear helps with my back pain. It also smooths the curves and lumps. It does not make anyone, including me a size smaller. I don’t always wear it. Only when I know that I will be doing something that requires a little more support for my back. (I’ve wondered is it supporting the back, or relieve the back from the stress of carrying my tummy?)
I’m going to add cording to the leg seams and see if that eliminates the X wrinkles. This is again a soft fabric. I’m thinking that since the taped seams helped the back of the previous pants, it will probably help here. My concern is not eliminating the stretch. That’s why I’m thinking of yarn/cording instead of tape and top stitch.
Sometimes it is just hard to figure out what to do. 1/2″ offset left gathering on the front of the side seam. 3/4″ offset has gathers on the back. Fortunately, all the seams are stitched with water-soluble thread. I can easily rip the thread and put the final seam in with a 5/8″ offset.
Still a few frown lines which fortunately will be covered by my blouses. I’m loving the final 17″ hem circumference. A really big accomplishment! I’ve been able to slim this leg from it’s default 20″ (for my size) to 19 easily. But any more than that seemed to create those back leg X wrinkles. In one of the previous iterations (not my yoga pant series), I marked the “knee box”. That’s the topmost and bottom most of my knee. I did my hem circumference alterations from the bottom of the knee box.