There were several things I wanted to know about the Eureka Pull On pants that could only be answered through wear.
One question was, how well does Kathy’s “pull until resisted” method of determining elastic length work? There’s lots of room for error and disagreeing with my findings. First, did I quit pulling too soon or too late? Should I have sought additional or less resistance? Did I follow Kathy Ruddy’s instructions as intended? Also, I know for a fact that different widths of elastic will make a difference. I’ve even had elastic that was trimmed to the desired width at sewing time. Guess what? The 1/4″ width stretched more than the 1.5″ width. Of course, YMMV. Then there’s also the common knowledge that Louise’s elastic is very soft. She designs her pants patterns to take advantage of that softness. Louise intends that her pants draft will settle a bit downwards below the waist–a position that is flattering for most women. There is also the effect of the weight of the fabric upon the elastic. Typically, I wouldn’t use lingerie elastic for pull-on pants because lingerie elastic is manufactured differently and cannot support the weight of trousers/slacks/jeans. So how did my application of CLD’s elastic in the Eureka Pull-ons behave? Badly. Well not so badly I’m going to throw them out or even redo the elastic application. But I did wish I had added belt loops so I could wear a belt and thereby hold my pants up to my waistline–where they belonged. I still have confidence in CLD’s elastic. I’ve used it multiple times in the last 6 years. What’s bad is that I knew from experience with her patterns, that my elastic length needed to be 3″ shorter. I just should have gone with the proven measurement and that is what I will do in the future. I count this one as my bad.
The front crotch length was another issue of concern. The pants felt fine during fitting and picture taking. But the final pictures clearly showed the waistline rising at the center front. By that time I’d put way too many stitches into the fabric. I wasn’t ripping those out unless really necessary. After wearing for the day, I made a 1/2″ reduction in the front crotch length to the pattern.
Although each of the other versions of this pant were the perfect leg length, this version felt long…… AND grew longer as the day wore on.
The wrinkles in back? Didn’t get any less:
..but at least the VPL has gone away. Yep this fabric softened and grew both length and width wise during wear. These are rapidly become pajama bottoms!
Still love the color. Not just because it’s a warm brown but because it’s a good color when fitting. I wasn’t aware of the VPL while looking in the mirror. It was the pictures which picked up and amplified the slightest shadow thereby alerting me to the fact the side seams were just a tad too deep at least on the back side. This wouldn’t have been apparent in a darker color; say — black.
I also learned that the ease change to the front and back (remember I folded out 1″ ease from front then slashed and spread the back 1″) is about right. I don’t think the 3/4″ CLA was helpful at all in reducing the ease across the back thigh.
Although these are rapidly being relegated to PJ duty, I like how they looked when first finished. They weren’t too tight. I dislike the opposite which is very wide loose pants. When I look at pictures of myself in those type of pants, I feel depressed. I think a wide, loose pant makes me look much wider and heavier than I am. Despite the fact that pull-on pants are stylistically “old lady”, I like them and these in particular. I always wear my tops out. I’m high-waisted. Wearing my tops over my pants allows me to create the illusion that I could be normal. The pull-on pants are easy and would be quick to sew. Even with the limited fitting I did, I spent less time sewing than adding my pattern alterations and style overlays. Definitely this would be a goto pattern when I need pants NOW or sooner.