I’m eager to test my pant’s fitting theory on other Burda pant patterns, but summer arrived. Every year I’ve lived in the Mid-West we have 1 week springs. We have deep winter with snow and then the weather warms a bit and we have cold rain and hail. Old Man Winter fools us by letting in a few warm days here and there over a period of weeks, months. OK what most people would think is spring time. Then suddenly the temperatures climb. I mean they climb like 20 degrees from one day to the next and—-summer is here in about 7 days time. This year I realized that my wardrobe wasn’t ready for summer temps. I gained about 8 pounds last Christmas and began dieting in May. I lost about 3 pounds almost immediately and then leveled off neither gaining nor losing for the longest time while still restricting calories and exercising as weather permitted. The end result is the shorts I planned to wear when summer arrived are too tight to be comfortable and I need new ones immediately.
Having just fitted Burda 2000-11-140, I decided to adapt it for summer shorts. I drew a line between the knee marks and folded up the leg at that line. Then I added 1.25″ length shaping for a turned up hem. Shorts and tanks tops are perfect for a smaller cuts and left-over remnants of fabrics so I sorted through the Under2’s and retrieved a turquoise cotton twill, a peach cotton-poly sheeting and a khaki-colored polyester twill. Since I’d already fitted the pattern, I felt it was time to do some creative stuff. I embroidered the back pockets of the turquoise and peach shorts.
I started to embroider back pockets on the polyester twill but had issues. The embroidery started off fine, but then about half way through the bobbin insisted upon coming to the top. I changed needles and started it again. It was stitching out beautifully so I continued to sew the already embroidered shorts. To my disgust when the machine stopped the bobbin thread once again was coming to the top. I really didn’t want to spend an hour removing the stitching and tried some corrective action with fabric markers. Didn’t like the results. Nope. Not one bit. So I’m frowning at the messed up embroidery and decide that this polyester twill would look better without back pockets. I confined my embellishments to two rows of stitching.
After wearing I found the shorts to be too long. They felt fine but looked dumpy in the mirror. The proportion of my normal-length tops and the shorts was just off. I decided to remove 5 inches in length. Now of course I didn’t have the width for a nice turned up hem. I serged the raw edge and turned up a 1/2″ hem. Not my favorite but it does well enough for badly needed summer shorts. Here you see the turquoise and peach before the length change; the khaki shorts above have been shortened.
Oddly I’m also finding the waist to be loose. Oddly, because I used my classic straight waistband, the same waistband which worked so well with the previous pairs that I spent time basting and fitting. I’m not sure if it’s a fabric issue or if I’ve just drunk enough water to begin flushing out my insides.
I’ve also found during wear that all versions of 2011-11-140 feel slightly tight across my bu tt. The serging of the original pair have actually separated at the seam. The solution is scooping out the crotch a mere 1/4″. As I’ve written in previous posts, I think my rear is shaped differently. It may be due to having broken the ta il bone some 12 years ago. Whatever, the 1/4″ scoop makes a difference not in how the pants look, but in how they feel. I’m not upset with this. Future Burda pants patterns that I make will automatically include making the back inseam one size larger AND scooping the back crotch 1/4″.